Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
AE86 with S13 IRS Thu, 02 June 2005 05:13 Go to next message
http://www.battleversion.com/img/AE86/DSC01575.JPG

Bit of a write up but nothing much about the technical details of it all...

http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10843 6
  Send a private message to this user    
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Thu, 02 June 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn!

heres the critical point:

Quote:

Info on the swap, its not easy. I have about 80 to 100 hours into it and i still have a few more things to finish.

improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Thu, 02 June 2005 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shit i have spent 4 hours and have the rear end in place , and have worked out how not to cut the car in the outer body joint . Removing the body joint and the seat belt mounting point Sad to bad if you wanted to keep the car a road usable . If going to all the trouble of adjustable arms why not just make it double wishbone like the jap kit , then all that body wouldn't have to be cut out like that . I love how some people go about so things the hard way , for a so called ae86 specialized Battle Version might have found that getting a rear cut of a ae86 , inverting it would have cut down the hours by half . That might be the difference between people from automotive manufacturing on a larger scale to building a few drift ae86's . Thankfully so poor customer wasn't paying for that Laughing

TurboRA28 if you see me online i will send you a picture
3t-RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Fri, 03 June 2005 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys, I'll pull my finger out soon and host the photos somewhere but I just finished converting my RA40 to IRS using a Corona RT142 rear end. In the end not to hard but took a lot of thinking time to get it done. Only had to cut and weld in two sections and weld in two other sections on the car and also modify the front cross member of the IRS. Also ended up using Cressida diff centre and brakes, 3.9 ratio and 276mm ventilated, straight bolt on.

Correction Cressida's are 4.1 ratio. Confused

[Updated on: Sun, 05 June 2005 11:20]

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Fri, 03 June 2005 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hrrrm i head the word "cut" alot in his description of the work he had done dosent sound all that practicle
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Sat, 04 June 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
improvedae86 your 86 just for clubsprints and drift? as irs in the sprinter not legal in IP racing?wondering if there was a rule change i missed,or rule change i hope i missed.
mick
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Sat, 04 June 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3t-ra40 i am highly interested in your conversion, tell me more, i am about to go the hilux rear end approach so this might proove to be a more efficient route.
was it incredibly hard??? i can weld (not proficiently yet but am getting there) and all of us can cut Very Happy so can say someone who likes to get dirty attempt something like this or is it out of my league and i should go back to the hilux approach.
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Sat, 04 June 2005 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Fri, 03 June 2005 22:02

improvedae86 your 86 just for clubsprints and drift? as irs in the sprinter not legal in IP racing?wondering if there was a rule change i missed,or rule change i hope i missed.
mick

IP racing ? Also having a make of engine other than the car is as well Sad If it was for drift i wouldn't be bothered with converting it to IRS {multilink} It really just the fact of winter , an adding boost starting a 2000rpm . The limitations of the live axle in evenly applying such torque loadings without cutting the the rear seat area out to add torque rods through the rear of the car to control this . You look bloody stupid with the ass end of the car coming out overtaking in top gear , also added that at 6am you couldn't be stuffed concentrating . The breakaway point is so much lower than your stock bmw's in such bad conditions that it limits the fun of driving the car , which is mostly want i want .

Really the stuffing around with modifying any kind of live axle into another car correctly so that handbrake works , suspension geometry is correct , gearing etc i am surprised that people which have had the same car through lots of different stages of modification and power have not started to convert to more modern designed rear ends alot earlier .
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Sat, 04 June 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that looks like a sweet set up. alot of work but somehting that will set it apart as its becoming increasingly more difficult to see and original idea in a sprinter these days
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Sat, 04 June 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry mean improved production racing.
3t-RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Sun, 05 June 2005 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
barned01 wrote on Sat, 04 June 2005 12:12

3t-ra40 i am highly interested in your conversion, tell me more, i am about to go the hilux rear end approach so this might proove to be a more efficient route.
was it incredibly hard??? i can weld (not proficiently yet but am getting there) and all of us can cut Very Happy so can say someone who likes to get dirty attempt something like this or is it out of my league and i should go back to the hilux approach.

Wasn't that hard, just took alot of thinking rather than hacking every thing to death. Got plenty of photo's and will be getting some more soon. Will do a thread with details on what I done with photos to explain how soon.

[Updated on: Sun, 05 June 2005 11:06]

3t-RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Sun, 05 June 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Fri, 03 June 2005 23:50

hrrrm i head the word "cut" alot in his description of the work he had done dosent sound all that practicle

Come on man I only mentioned it twice. F series IRS vs T series solid axle, what's not practical about that sort of upgrade? You can't expect to upgrade to IRS in a car that never came out with it without expecting to do some modifications. In terms of how hard to do, not really any harder than an engine conversion.
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Wed, 08 June 2005 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok 3t-ra40 this begs the next question.
now bear in mind i have not seen under any of these cars so it will sound like a newbie question but...
if you can get the irs rear end of an RT142 under the ra40, would it then be a relatively straight forward prospect to use say a XA70/XZ20 rear diff and axles and discs and brakes and bolt them to the RT142 independent rear end or is my complete lack of rear end knowledge now showing???
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Wed, 08 June 2005 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol changing over any live to irs is never going to be straight forward swap for most people.its a matter of width,height and weight to strength needed in the setup you choose.if you dont have the adjustment to make up for mounting alignment,it wouldnt be fun either.
mick
Gwaijaitat
Regular

April 2005
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Wed, 08 June 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Was it worth it? If you had to pay me to do it, no. Buy an s13. If you do it yourself, No. Go buy an s13. You want a high hp ae86, sell it and get a s13. After you have spent as much time building your car as i have, you will know why.

true

[Updated on: Wed, 08 June 2005 14:07]

Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Thu, 09 June 2005 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Was it worth it? If you had to pay me to do it, no. Buy an s13. If you do it yourself, No. Go buy an s13. You want a high hp ae86, sell it and get a s13. After you have spent as much time building your car as i have, you will know why.

who's the tard that said that?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Thu, 09 June 2005 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i hate twots like that. If you dont want to get your hands dirty or improve your car, dont post on forums, dont own a car. blah blah.

matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Thu, 09 June 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

who's the tard that said that?

The guy that did the conversion.
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Thu, 09 June 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as i said...what a tard.

i'm in agreeance with TurboRA28, and think that if you're gonna mod a car, be prepared to spend some time on it.

also, Adam's idea of flipping the ass-half of a car upside down to do such a conversion sounds like it would be SOO much easier.

reckon i might give it a go myself Wink
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Thu, 09 June 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I think thats a good idea.. My mate has an old 75 lancer that he is converting to IRS and did just that. Went out to the wreckers with a hacksaw, axe, and spent half a day cutting the rear half off a lancer and brought it home, turned it upside down in his garage. Makes the conversion so much easier to work on.

I've got the rear 1/2 of a ra28 sitting behind a shed at a friends farm for that same purpose one day.

Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Fri, 10 June 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well..

i started cutting up an old wrecked 86 shell today Cool

fun times ahead Wink
Gwaijaitat
Regular

April 2005
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Fri, 10 June 2005 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Thu, 09 June 2005 13:38

Yeah i hate twots like that. If you dont want to get your hands dirty or improve your car, dont post on forums, dont own a car. blah blah.

omg, I didn't mean modifying/improving your car is such a bad/stupid whatever. When I saw this post I was interested about how the guy did it then I had a good read about the orginal post in club4ag.com. Then I read a few sentences about what this guy think after finished this conversion, I agreed with it because IMO ae86 has its own characteristic as under power 4AGE, RWD, solid rear end and light weight and S13 is turbocharged 4 cyclinders rwd independent suspensions.. just that simple and no offence at all, it is a very good job also but only not my liking, I would love to see other ppl do these to their cars but I just wouldn't do it, either I dun have such a skill and also not my likeing.
no offence at all to anyone who like to modify their car to whatever they like but its just my own opinion as I owned a s13 b4 I liked the way it is being IRS and I owned a 86 now and like it being a solid rear end also.
omg, wat am I tring to explain... forget it ...
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Fri, 10 June 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3t-RA40 wrote on Sun, 05 June 2005 21:45

Come on man I only mentioned it twice. F series IRS vs T series solid axle, what's not practical about that sort of upgrade? You can't expect to upgrade to IRS in a car that never came out with it without expecting to do some modifications. In terms of how hard to do, not really any harder than an engine conversion.

i was making a comment about the ae86 not your car
3t-RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Sat, 11 June 2005 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 19:38

3t-RA40 wrote on Sun, 05 June 2005 21:45

i was making a comment about the ae86 not your car

Sorry mate, just thinking it was all about me again Very Happy.
I will do some photos soon and post them. If I don't get them done before the cruise to Terrigal than people will see it there. Planing to go to catch up with some of you.
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Sat, 11 June 2005 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
although take into account some of us aren't in terrigal but would still desperately like to see those pics Smile
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Thu, 23 June 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n195 93196

I had a link sent to me this morning containing another IRS converted ae86 Laughing This one cracked me up they located the subframe so far back to clear the body that the wheelbase is huge , as far as i can tell the rear of the guards would have been cut out to clear the wheels . Crazy all the other work on that car and they couldn't even modify the subframe to have the correct wheelbase and height for the driveshaft / tailshaft angle . Looking at the driveshaft angle when that car is raised i would say the driveshafts are on a upward direction when the car is at its normal height , thats why theres such silly camber . This also causes the wheels to be pushed down under torque loading , making traction lost due the non squatting of the rear the tyres become overloaded , plus there stupid camber Laughing That car would be almost undrivable . I cannot wait for more time to finish my IRS conversion Rolling Eyes this one is the worst so far Laughing
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Thu, 23 June 2005 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My friends just started his 1975 LA Lancer IRS conversion (using a nissan 280z rear end as this was the closest in width we could find easily).

I've got some pics of some trial fitting i'll post up if people interested.

Also, didn't mean any offence about people not getting hands dirty modifying cars etc. I was just annoyed that someone who did the whole irs conversion and then turns around and tells everyone its too hard and go buy a s13. Very closed minded comment.

Cheers
Joel
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Thu, 23 June 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
improvedae86 wrote on Thu, 23 June 2005 10:05

I had a link sent to me this morning containing another IRS converted ae86 Laughing This one cracked me up they located the subframe so far back to clear the body that the wheelbase is huge , as far as i can tell the rear of the guards would have been cut out to clear the wheels . Crazy all the other work on that car and they couldn't even modify the subframe to have the correct wheelbase and height for the driveshaft / tailshaft angle . Looking at the driveshaft angle when that car is raised i would say the driveshafts are on a upward direction when the car is at its normal height , thats why theres such silly camber . This also causes the wheels to be pushed down under torque loading , making traction lost due the non squatting of the rear the tyres become overloaded , plus there stupid camber Laughing That car would be almost undrivable . I cannot wait for more time to finish my IRS conversion Rolling Eyes this one is the worst so far Laughing

Is it just me, or is that ae86 missing a radiator support?

eurospec86
Regular

October 2004
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Thu, 23 June 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

im really interested in seeing your conversion, do u have any pics of progress so far online? how soon do u expect to finish irs, im thinking about this but want to see more peoples solutions, sounds like u have planned it out good
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Thu, 23 June 2005 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xolent wrote on Thu, 23 June 2005 20:58

is it just me or is that car FUCKING HOT even tho it clearly has some dodgeyness about it...

and yes it appears to be missing a radiator support Wink
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Thu, 23 June 2005 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ wrote on Thu, 23 June 2005 23:33

xolent wrote on Thu, 23 June 2005 20:58

is it just me or is that car FUCKING HOT even tho it clearly has some dodgeyness about it...

and yes it appears to be missing a radiator support Wink

HORRAAYYY FOR SMART ENGINEERING! Smile
eurospec86
Regular

October 2004
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Fri, 24 June 2005 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh mna did u get my pm anbout this im very interested in seeing these setups as im trying to configure a way to do this conversion, so come one share the wealth Very Happy
Rallystanza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Sat, 25 June 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Also Rallystanza and Henn have also seen this for there own eyes .

Have seen it and it is going bloody great guns.

Good luck with it all Improved.

Bloody americans! Rolling Eyes

Regards,

Jezza
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Sat, 25 June 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is a picture of mine after about 8-10ish hours of work .

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=6/17505243115.jpg&a mp;a mp;s=x2

Down points that other IRS { mutlilink } to Ae86 conversion that i have seem , apart from maybe the Hot Staff full custom subframe are :

1. The Chassis has been cut in lots of different areas , making it bloody weak even with a cage fitted .
2. The car would have been a shell to start with , and would have had to be inverted for brackets etc to be welded to the chassis . So its not a bolt in job .
3. The Subframe is solid mounted so the torque loading has not been distributed into the suspension so to apply even loading to the driving wheels . As well as adding road noise which the rear of the Ae86 isnt great for by modern standards .
4. All the suspension arms are always aftermarket adjustable units to correct the poor alignment from the bad positioning of the subframe . Also always rose jointed adding more road noise .
And making the price of the conversion much more .
5. The track issues , the need for flared guards are also caused be the incorrect angles of the suspension arms causing the movement arch at the ride height position equaling a full extended track . At this position tyres do not move inward on the upward travel passed the wheelarch .
6. The driveshaft are not running perfectly straight so to cause the least amount of driveshaft friction and making the shaft cv contact area at the strongest points . Also the input flange to gearbox tail shaft angles must be way out with the incorrectly positioned subframe and diff .
7. The use of long travel s13 coilovers , or no travel ae86 ones . With the multilink in position the wheel travel should be far greater that the live axle so whilst fully bottomed out the subframe lowest point should contact the ground before full wheel travel is achieved . This makes sure that with the correct spring rates the vehicle doesn't run out of wheel travel whilst full corner loading is applied to that wheel , a example of this is a every porsche from the 993 to the latest gt series .
8. The poorly positioned subframe again causes the suspension angles to produce a higher rollcenter that the standard s13 , as well as producing large amounts of toe in on the down travel , eg braking hard front dive . Sure this creates a stable rear whilst braking due to the added toe in , but distracts from the ability for the vehicle to be turned in under braking . Eg mazda last s8 rx7's had this removed due to the toe pulling the vehicle almost straight under heavy braking as commented by the press at the time .
9. The toe arm link positioning causing large toe and camber changes as well as the fact that it doesn't fit under the vehicle without the car being cut , or the subframe once again being in the incorrect position . I would rather not have such large changes in the geometry , this give different tyre slip angles causing a non predicable feel especially in the wet . Sure the live axle is great , but it is predicable , stock s13's in the wet are not .
10. All these other conversion might have missed the point of a Ae86 , its cheap and the rear conversion shouldn't cost shitloads , its only a old corolla at the end of the day Wink

Maybe a under shot of the others would be great for a better understanding behind these conversions

[Updated on: Sat, 25 June 2005 11:13]

improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Sat, 25 June 2005 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How things change Laughing

From: "robert woodard" <racecar1@charter.net> Add to Address Book
To: "john smith" <ae86sprinter2005@yahoo.com.au>
Subject: Re: IRS SET UP
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 10:35:27 -0700

ok.... ok.... i see it now but for some reason i didnt see it before seriously... i see what you mean by inverting the rear to make things easier and i aslo see your points about the other designs.. what i wanted to know is if you have any closer pics of it? and how did you figure out the right drivshaft pinion angle? and proper ride height and supension geomtry? with the new rear in place? ive been looking to do a conversion like this for a while just dont know how to go about it.. guys like you are helping a lot. one more question are you making yours double wishbone like you stated before? thanks for showing me you setup sorry for the put downs.. its just that i see so many shit talkers out there and not to many doers.

Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Sun, 26 June 2005 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

and how did you figure out the right drivshaft pinion angle?

blind freddie can see the pinion angle gauge sitting on the subframe in that pic Wink
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Sun, 26 June 2005 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looking very nice adam...

keep up the good work

do you think there could be a market to produce this on a larger scale?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Sun, 26 June 2005 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ wrote on Sun, 26 June 2005 15:00

do you think there could be a market to produce this on a larger scale?

since most of the corolla owners are tight arses, the time and effort required to make it a product would probably not be worth the time needed to answer of of the stupid emails it would generate Wink

looks fantastic tho.. feel like putting one into an earlier corolla? Wink
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Sun, 26 June 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah thats for sure Oldcorollas , timewasters big time Rolling Eyes . Joel post some pictures of that early lancer that you are doing the irs on , i would think that might have a wheelbase closer to early corolla ? Thats looking shit hot as well Smile
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Sun, 26 June 2005 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Sun, 26 June 2005 17:33

looks fantastic tho.. feel like putting one into an earlier corolla? Wink

Been done, MA61 type F code IRS narrowed to fit a yellow KE26 built through Boosted Performance in NZ.

http://www.boostedperformance.co.nz/

Callum
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Mon, 27 June 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lets get this back onto track.. talking about IRS conversions Smile

Here are some pics for all to view of the 1975 LA Lancer IRS conversion my mate is currently working on. I hope to get my hands a bit dirty on this also and help him out along the way.

There is a link somewhere to all of them which cant find at the moment.. But will dig that up.. Here is just a few for now -

http://img8.echo.cx/img8/1754/dsc005882xo.jpg

http://img8.echo.cx/img8/9558/dsc005875ak.jpg

http://img8.echo.cx/img8/6932/dsc005836wi.jpg

http://img8.echo.cx/img8/706/dsc005908xo.jpg

The main problem he is experiencing is limited travel, the wheel can droop heaps but can not move up as much as the arm hits the chassy rail.

Improvedae86, mate would like to discuss this with you a bit more when you have a min to get some ideas?

Cheers
Joel
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Tue, 28 June 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That was part of the reason I used the whole floorpan in my Starlet, no issues with clearance then. Obviously though mine was a lot less limited, no need to keep it looking at all factory since the wheel base is stretched and the track increase is huge to match the front.

Callum
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Tue, 28 June 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you converted a starlet to irs by changing the floorpan? i call first for pics!
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Tue, 28 June 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
purplebeasty whats in your KP61?

assuming thats what it is?
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Tue, 28 June 2005 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=27918&start=0&rid=129&S=8521274b7acb 043cc1750a000f4bdd6b

It's a KP60 which means jack all, the 0,1, 2 only refers to engine size. So we will call it a TP63 since it is half TA63 anyway.

3T-GTE W55 F292 from the TA63 and a whole lot of the floor pan, crossmembers, suspension as well. Think that thread has the link to the earlier work as well.

You guys need glasses lol, my thread got bumped just a few days ago.

Callum

[Updated on: Tue, 28 June 2005 02:00]

improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Tue, 28 June 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good thread Purple_Beasty , looks like it will look factory when finished . Also that Lancer is looking good Joel , any futher work on it since the pictures ? What the roll bar size ? that looks like it could be adapted to most irs rears easy . Hmm my posts have gone missing Laughing

indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Tue, 28 June 2005 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Tue, 28 June 2005 09:45

Lets get this back onto track.. talking about IRS conversions Smile

Here are some pics for all to view of the 1975 LA Lancer IRS conversion my mate is currently working on. I hope to get my hands a bit dirty on this also and help him out along the way.

There is a link somewhere to all of them which cant find at the moment.. But will dig that up.. Here is just a few for now -

(images snipped)

that IRS setup badly needs some registration paint!

j.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 June 2005 11:31]

3t-RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Tue, 28 June 2005 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3t-RA40 wrote on Fri, 03 June 2005 22:51

Guys, I'll pull my finger out soon and host the photos somewhere but I just finished converting my RA40 to IRS using a Corona RT142 rear end. In the end not to hard but took a lot of thinking time to get it done. Only had to cut and weld in two sections and weld in two other sections on the car and also modify the front cross member of the IRS. Also ended up using Cressida diff centre and brakes, 3.9 ratio and 276mm ventilated, straight bolt on.

Correction Cressida's are 4.1 ratio. Confused

Here's a photo of the IRS in my RA40.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/2034000-2034999/2034759_4_full.jpg
Yes the drive shafts are at a funny angle but that's because it's sitting way to low. Have had to get custom kings springs made to fit celica body and corona trailing arms.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 June 2005 14:02]

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Tue, 28 June 2005 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey improvedae86, i'll try and catch up with my mate to see if he has done anymore work on the lancer irs. definately needs a coat of paint but doubt that'll happen until its all fitted in the actual car.

He is waiting on a new mig welder to arrive and i think that has been holding him up.

3t-ra40, thanks for that pic! i'm definately interested in seeing more as this may be the way to go for the ra28 Smile .. anymore pics showing the mounting points?

CHeers
Joel
3t-RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Wed, 29 June 2005 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Wed, 29 June 2005 09:24

3t-ra40, thanks for that pic! i'm definately interested in seeing more as this may be the way to go for the ra28 Smile .. anymore pics showing the mounting points?

CHeers
Joel

Sorry it took so long to put a photo up. I've got more but only started uploading them last night, so more to come. I'll probably start a new thread as to not take over this one. I'll be pulling it back out this weekend to give it a good tidy up.
1UZ FTE
Regular

May 2002

Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Wed, 29 June 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Guys
Here is a pic of a GTR rear end going in my 22 Celica

http://toys.yackandandah.com/Rear%20end%20in.JPG

Hmm this has a few problems, like the rear mounting points (pictured) needs to sit about another 10/15mm higher and the front 15/20mm higher to get the correct angle on the diff and also the desired control arm /axle angle for the ride height desired
To acheive this a lot more cutting / manufacturing and shunting would be required so i had to compromise

Suspension travel is good and has plenty of clearance all round
Control arms where shortened and axle are just about binding in the CV joints about 2-3mm clearance left. Will try it with this clearance as i can't see a problem with this, hope this is enough otherwise shorten axles maybe in hand

Shortening the arms this much still did not get it back to the original width ,.. so am picking this up with a offset of 45mm running a 9" wide wheel this just gets it under the guard lip , the lips have already been rolled about an extra 10mm

If any one is interested i have more pics that i can send

Joel the s13 IRS looks very similar to the GTR one ,.. and the same problem as mine. To get the extra height in the subframe to acheive desired ride height to arm relationship the floor etc needs to be cut out to clear the front arm pick up points . These pick up point i beleive actually need to be made slightly higher to acheive a better rollcenter etc guys who race the really quick GTR on the circuits raise them about 20-25mm depending on who you speak to ,.. does the 22 have a similar floor pan as the ae86 ?
I have a side pic of mine if you would like to see it ,..
let me know as i will have to dig it out for you

Let me know if anybody sees a problem with my reasonging as i am always open to ideas and improvements

thanks
J

[Updated on: Wed, 29 June 2005 11:16]

3t-RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: AE86 with S13 IRS Wed, 29 June 2005 13:49 Go to previous message
Just added thread on RT142 IRS conversion that I done.
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=73372&start=0&rid=148&S=a8168e887346 9fe05389e42e736c5494
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Lamp Assy.Koito & Stanley
Next Topic:hi wanting to knoe about 7mgte wiring loom mods
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 15:15:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0080010890960693 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.